Ideas Swirling About In My Head
- Yesterday we came home from a week in Maine. Family camp is responsible for an outsized number of really great experiences even though we only go there once a year for a week. We spend the whole time — except when we are sleeping — outdoors. This year the breakthrough activity had to be SUP — stand up paddle board. Everyone tried it. Josephine loved it. Dana did yoga on it.
- I ran several times in Maine including one circumnavigation of the lake. The long run on Friday clocked in at 1:36 and 12.1 miles — or about a 7:57 pace over a hilly course. It felt good — in fact, it was probably the best long run I’ve done in at least a year. My calves were tight for two days after — the run itself was memorable and included a degree of ease that is rare for me.
- We swam Walden Pond again — and this year we let the kids climb in a new cove and race from shore to shore. I love that place.
- A couple of months ago I carefully drew up a day by day workout plan to get me to Ironman Maryland. Yesterday I realized that the 16 week plan — scribbled into little boxes, one per day, on lined notebook paper — left out a week. That is right. I went straight from August 24 to September 1. Good news: I have one more week of training available to prepare for Maryland. Bad news: I have to redo the last 3-4 weeks of workouts.
- The verdict on my ear and hearing is in and it is good. Just before leaving for vacation I learned that my hearing is certainly in the “normal” range, the hole is healed and the recovery is better than would have been expected had I undergone surgery in June. With all that said, there is a difference and hearing in my right ear is better than the left.
- The rope swing is really one of the greatest summer activities of all time.